Thursday, January 13, 2011

A food Update

I thought I would share a good recipe for kids of all ages,  Broccoli & Cheese Nuggets.

Eli LOVES them. He has been eating them so fast that I never see his mouth. All I see is his fists shoving more in. The best part is they are a great sources for protein, vitamin C and soluble fiber. The recipe calls for bread crumbs, but next time I am going to use crushed cheerios to add an extra bump in nutrition. I even liked them! Hope you all enjoy!

Broccoli & Cheese Nuggets
1 16-oz Package frozen broccoli, cooked, drained, and chopped
(note: I steamed them to help keep as much nutrition in.) 
1 cup  bread crumbs + more for "rolling"
(note: I am going to try crushed cheerios next!) 
1 ½ cups Shredded cheese 
(note: I used a mexican blend, but cheddar would work nice) 
3 Large eggs or 5 egg yolks
(note:Most pediatricians say it's ok to use whole egg in a baked good when baby is over 8-9 months old without allergies. DO WHAT YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH!)
Seasonings if you like - garlic powder, pepper,  basil & oregano
  1. Pre-Heat oven to 375
  2. Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
  3. Combine all  ingredients and mix well. 
  4. Shape mixture into balls the size of ping pong balls. 
  5. Fill a small bowl with bread crumbs and then roll balls in crumbs until surface is covered.  
  6. Flatten in to nuggets on  baking sheet.
  7. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, turn nuggets over after 15 minutes. 



Also I should note the I modified the recipe from http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com. This site is the only baby food reference site I use. My advice to new parents that are starting solids is to read a few sites and then pick ONE that you like. You can drive yourself nuts looking up info on food and allergy. I think wholesomebabyfood.com does a good job of looking at food from all angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment