Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Its like Calling the Hippie Green

So way back when we invited our friends Julie and Ben over for dinner and they informed us that they were expecting! We talked and talked about preparing for a baby and had a very nice evening. Eli was weeks from being born and we all were in various mental states of readiness.

One of the conversations we had was about cleaning products. Julie had strong feeling about the toxic nature of most main stream cleaning products and they had just decided to get rid of or use up what they had left. At the time I thought it was a bit overkill, but I chocked it up to personal choice and moved on.

Fast forward to last Friday. Emily asked me to pick up some cleaning supplies if I went to the store. I told her I have been watching  alot of Planet Green tv and I had been thinking about using homemade products. We decide that I was going to do some more research and then we would make a decision.

It was surprisingly easy to find lots of information about how clean with simple things that you can find around your house and in what proportions you need to mix them. I made a list of what we did not have and off to the store we went.


We now clean with borax, vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda, and salt. I even made recycled dispensers out of old jars. 


On Sunday we put our new chemicals to work. Emily and I were both happy with the way that things worked out. Everything was just as clean as if when we used our old stuff. Back when Julie first just brought up this idea I thought that she was just being a hippie. Now look at us. Just a bunch of dam hippies.

1 comment: