Monday, April 21, 2014

The tenth month of pregnancy

So. I'm 41 weeks and 3 days pregnant. That's 10 days past my due date.

I've tried everything. Evening primrose oil, red raspberry leaf tea, pineapple, eggplant, walking, relaxing, visualization, other things I don't care to discuss with you. Friday I went to the midwife and had my membranes swept and then we went to the acupuncturist. I've never done acupuncture before. It was so very relaxing. She also sold me a bottle of magic potion (a tincture) and gave me some magic stickers to help my heartburn. The stickers totally worked. I had buffalo chicken last night with no side effects. Today I went back to the acupuncturist and back to the midwife for another sweeping.

Tomorrow we get induced. Originally, we were going to go today (Monday), but the midwife called me later and said that today was already booked. Apparently this is the first time that has ever happened.

I know many people think I've waited too long. Some people think that she'll come when she is ready and I should wait longer. I don't really know what the right time is, but hopefully we're making the right choice.  Births typically happen between 37 and 42 weeks. The due date is at the 40 mark. It's very likely that she would (heck, still could) come on her own some time this week. After 42 weeks the risks to baby go up. Inductions at 42 weeks are more likely to end up in c-sections. Inductions carry plenty of their own risks. All of the options stink.

I'm 2.5 cm dilated and 60-70% effaced. It took me a day of labor last time to be that dilated so I feel good about that progress. The midwife thinks that the induction should go well.

I just really want to meet Baby Girl and know that she's healthy and wonderful. I also really want to find out her name. We have a list, but I have no idea which name it will be.

It's going to be so weird to have my whole labor in a hospital (unless of course, I go into spontaneous labor sometime before tomorrow morning - still holding out hope).  We've been planning for it to happen at any given time for almost 5 weeks now.  We packed our hospital bag so long ago that I have no idea what is in it anymore.  Assuming nothing happens ahead of time, it's all going to be very orderly. We'll drop Eli off at school with his overnight bag (sitter to pick him up from school). We'll take Leroy to get boarded, and then we'll go check in and get the show started.  Hopefully the next post is a picture of my beautiful little baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment