A big part of being a temp can be finding ways to fill your time. At the job I've been at for the past week or so there is about 5 minutes worth of work in any given day. The rest of the time it is important to be here so that I can answer the phone in case somebody does finally call, and it's not a wrong number and it's not a Spanish recording telling me to dial 1 to claim my prize. The following is a list of things I have had time to do so far this week.
- Spend 3 hours trying to determine the best place to take my father-in-law to get a hot dog.
- Take naps in the little fountainy/flowery area in front of the building.
- Spend 3 hours trying to determine the best place to satisfy my father-in-law's Jewish deli request.
- Play a good 10 or 11 games of Scrabulous.
- Go to my high school class reunion site and discover that 80% of my former female classmates have spawned an average of 2 children. Find out that 3-5% of those mothers have given their children socially handicapping names.
- Get a money order for my boss and prepare his traffic ticket guilty plea.*
- Both receive AND send letters and various packages.*
- Apply to 3 jobs. Hmm. Maybe more time should have been devoted to this one.
- Read 300 archive entries on Dooce.
- Work on my putting skills with the office's golf set thingy (because corporate offices have those?)
- Look for an apartment and a dog for a friend.
- Resort to clicking on links to blogs in various people's comments sections because I have already read all of the blogs I usually read and damn it, I need more blog reading material.
- Eat all of the M&Ms.
*These items were actually required of me by said job.